top of page

Accidental fire caused by overheated tumble dryer



An overheated tumble dryer caused a house fire in Stoke-on-Trent this morning (Tuesday 1 November).

Firefighters from Hanley, Longton and Sandyford attended a residential address off Priory Road, Abbey Hulton, shortly before 7.55am.

Residents of the property had evacuated upon arrival.

On arrival, crews found the fire had been extinguished.

No one was injured.

Upon an inspection, the fire was deemed to be an accidental ignition as a result of the tumble dryer overheating.

Darren Jackson, Station Manager at Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said:

“Crews at the scene worked diligently in order to minimise the damage caused by this fire, where no-one was hurt.
“Overloaded sockets and faulty electrical appliances cause over 7,000 house fires in Staffordshire every year. We urge residents to ensure they are aware of the risks associated with electrical appliances and make sure they adhere to the guidelines.
“It is always best practice to ensure your electrics have a British or European safety mark and to ensure plug sockets or extension leads are not overloaded.
“High powered machines such as tumble-dryers should be kept to a single socket to avoid overheating. They should not be left unattended and should be unplugged when not in use.
“Also, remember to clean the filter of your tumble-dryer on a regular basis.”

To read more on electrical safety, visit: Staffordshirefire.gov.uk

131 views0 comments

留言


bottom of page