Local Residents issued advice following kitchen fire
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding residents to take extra care in the kitchen after being called to a kitchen fire in Stoke-on-Trent.
Firefighters were called to an address off Pretoria Road, Etruria, just before 11pm on Wednesday (2 November) following reports of a kitchen fire.
Crews from Hanley and Newcastle attended. On arrival, crews found an electric oven on fire.
Crews used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.
No one was injured & The oven has since been removed from the property.
Darren Jackson, Station Manager at Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said:
“More than 50% of the fires we attend are caused by cooking. Distraction is the leading cause of these fires, with pans and grills left to set alight because they’ve not been looked after properly.
“It’s essential that when preparing for meal times we pay close attention to the food we’re cooking and look when we cook, otherwise the consequences could be fatal.”
Here are some tips on how to stay safe in the kitchen while cooking:
Look when you cook. Take any pans off the heat if you have to leave the room
Do not use a chip pan, use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer instead
Do not leave children alone in the kitchen while cooking with the hob or oven
Do not place anything metallic in the microwave
Keep electrical leads away from water and keep electrical leads and cloths away from the hob
Avoid cooking if you have been drinking alcohol
Keep the oven and grill clean, a build-up of fat and grease may catch fire
Take care if wearing loose clothing as it can easily catch fire, particularly when using the hob
When you have finished cooking, double-check that you have turned off the oven
Do not use matches or lighters to light gas cookers. Spark devices are safer.
For more safety advice, visit the Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service website.